Monday, June 25, 2007

Dr. Laura

I get annoyed quite often when I listen to Dr. Laura. Honestly, I think I have only done so a small handful of times. But I am currently reading her book, The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands. I am reserving comment until I finish it, but there is one thing I read that grabbed me, so here it is (she is talking about masculine strength and fortitude):

"I do believe that it's to the betterment of men and society that women temper and civilize these masculine characteristics; however, to deny the reality and value of masculine traits altogether is cruel towards boys and men, not to mention foolish, as it undermines the home and country."

I agree with this 100%. I am a firm believer in women and men being totally different beings. I think most women are capable of doing most the things men do, but I do NOT believe we should do everything men do. I do not believe it is right or fair to take basic male traits and try to mold them to ourselves. I am even one of those people who think women do NOT belong in combat. I am not saying they should all do nothing but pop out babies and tend the home, but I do think that our most important role in life is to be a wife and mother. What do you think? And please keep it respectful and clean.

2 comments:

mrkhmusic said...

I think that for years after the waves of feminism, the pendulum is swinging back and people are starting to recognize the value of masculinity again.

Hopefully, when the pendulum swings it will stop at a more mutually respectful place in the middle.

MRKH

WendyLou said...

I can't get past her saying I'm abusing Sydney by having her in day care.

I've read PC&FOH... used some of it. Some of it is common sense that works for me.

I'm not abusing my DD by having her in day care so I can work to ensure we have a place to live and health insurance.

I updated your link on my blog. I'm still your blog friend!

Love ya!